Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Favorite Movie Scores

Its been a while since I have contributed something to our blog here - and even longer since I contributed something "original." But I had a few thoughts that I thought would be good to share here.

When writing a film script, I am usually at a handicap if I am not listening to music to write to. Especially for my current movie, a relationship comedy, music was essential to the contruction and rhythm of the script as a whole.

When reflecting on my process this time around, I couldn't help but think of some of my all-time favorite film scores. Here is my list:

10) "8 1/2" - Nina Rota

A film that played with the line between fantasy and reality, "8 1/2" was unanimously praised by fans and critics as Fellini's magnum opus. One of the greatest films of all time, along with La Dolce Vita and Amarcord, its essence is captured in the soundtrack of Nino Rota, one of Italy's most prolific and acclaimed composers. Rota is perhaps most widely known, however, for his soundtrack to Francis Ford Coppola's first two Godfather films.



9) "Pursuit of Happyness" - Andrea Guerra

The true story of a struggling salesman who takes custody of his son as he's poised to begin a life-changing professional endeavor. Andrea Guerra's beautiful score is at times both subtly heartbreaking and optimistic, propelling an already epic story about the human experience to heightened proportions.



8) "Cast Away" - Alan Silvestri

This score was very sparingly applied, as most of the film takes place on a very lonely island. The scoring was mostly reserved for Hank's escape. I still get choked up when Hanks, while rowing his handmade paddle boat, takes a final look back on the island he struggled for years to leave.



7) "Mo Betta Blues" - Bill Lee

The last and final film to be scored by Spike Lee's father, Bill Lee (who I have had the pleasure of meeting and collaborating with). Some of the score was arranged and/or performed by The Branford Marsalis Quartet, along with one of my favorite composers ever, Terrence Blanchard, who would go on to be Spike's primary composer. For those of you who already know the theme title song to the film, this opening credit sequence variation (beginning at the 40 second mark) is simply breathtaking.



6) "American Beauty" - Thomas Newman

I'm no musician, but I would assume that this film would be any composer's dream gig - a fully financed studio picture that had real heart and was about real people, that featured moments when nothing but an image is seen, and the only thing left to bring it home was music. It sounds like a musician's playground. And boy did it pay off here. It was nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe, and won Newman a Grammy.



5) "Friends with Money" - Craig Richey

Craig Richey's wonderful score to Nicole Holofcener's amazing 3rd feature reminds us that composers don't always need to tell the audience what to feel. Richey's interpretation of the film and its characters leads him to a "middle" ground - its melancholy yet hopeful. Just like the film itself. Couldn't find an example of it other than the trailer below, but you can find Craig Richey's website through Google.



4) "Punch Drunk Love" - Jon Brion

Jon Brion may be most famous for the "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" film score, but for those that have seen this movie you may recall the music was fantastic. Could be my favorite "from beginning to end" score. At times to me, this film felt like 50% score, and 50% narrative.



3) "Magnolia" - Jon Brion

Here is the coolest clip ever of Jon Brion actually conducting the live taping of the orchestra for the score he composed. A young, genius PT Anderson looks on.



2) "When the Leeves Broke" - Terrence Blanchard

I included this film's score for the famous dead body montage that appeared towards the end of either Act 2 or Act 3. Here's another example of his work on this film.



1) "Malcolm X" - Terrence Blanchard

I can't think of a better example of a great choice by a composer than this, my favorite scored scene - maybe of all time. Try this out with me: at around the 6:51 mark, take a look at the two men on screen, what real life characters they represent. Think about what their persona was at the time (and still till this day), and the myths surrounding the nature of their relationship as well as their characters. But while watching the exchange and dynamic between the two, listen to Blanchard's score choice. That should reveal to you all you need to know about the nature of these two men and their relationship, at times, to each other. (stick around to the very next scene if you want to also see one of the best acting choices I have ever seen too! ;)



- Princeton

Read all about my next film HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment