Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cassandra Riddick Revealed



We sat down for an exclusive interview with writer/director/producer Cassandra Riddick (affectionately known as "Cass") of One Way or Another Productions. Besides handling most of the budgeting, scheduling, financing and producing for the company, Cassandra is now about to wrap up shooting her first feature length film as a director, the controversial and honest drama/comedy Shining Star. Here, we get a chance to get to know the woman behind the work. She gives us a little background about herself, as well as what inspires her; she even reveals some mistakes from her experience in the industry and gives advise to filmmakers on how to avoid certain legal and production pitfalls. Enjoy!



OneWayTV: Can you give us a little info about yourself and how started writing, directing, and producing?

Cassandra: "Well, my name is Cassandra Riddick. I just turned 44 years old July 21st. I grew up in Washington, DC. I graduated from Bowie State University. I got started in the entertainment business by way of the music industry. I use to promote college tours and carried Biz Markie on tour as my main DJ. I have promoted artists such as Common, the Fugees, Akinyele, Norega N Capone, Nas, Biggie, Method Man, Craig Mack, Total, Monica, Luther Campbell, T.I. and more. I worked with Akinyele on tour for over 7 years. I also worked for the legendary Jam Master Jay when 50 Cent was an unknown artist on the roster. The music industry fell into my lap from years of promoting local artists in D.C. and go-go shows which is a very popular homegrown music in D.C. which national hip-hop artists has used for years on hit records (Salt-N-Pepa, Kid N Play, Kurtis Blow to recent artist such as Ludacris, Amerie, Beyonce, Jill Scott and others) My first break in television was working for C-SPAN. I started off as a part-time studio technician and became a master control operator. I left the network after two major knee surgeries due to my life long love for basketball and softball. I took a chance, moved to NY, and started my career in the music and television industry. I co-produced and co-wrote a very popular video magazine show titled "Urban Flava Television" with my BFF Karen McFarlane. It aired in D.C., Brooklyn, NY, Durham and Raliegh, NC. IT lasted for three years until I became a full-time promoter and entrepreneur for the next 13 years."

OneWayTV: Who are your favorite filmmakers, actors and films?

Cassandra: "Well I started out as a fine art major. I use to love painting and drawing and creating visual art. As a child I would watch the old black and white movies with my mother on Sundays. My favorite films were Mildred Pierce (Joan Crawford), All About Eve (Bette Davis), Three Faces of Eve (Joann Woodard). These were the actors and films that I enjoyed watching and thought they were great stories. I love Alfred Hitchcock movies as well. My favorites today are Love Jones, Malcom X, Godfather I, II, III, The Departed, The Dark Knight, Scarface...I also enjoy foreign films and definitely independent films.

I grew up during the "Blaxportation Era" in the 1970's and loved the movies Foxy Brown, Coffy, Sheba Baby (Pam Grier) movies and the classic Sparkle and Cooley High films. One day as a freshman at Bowie State I read a small article about a film titled 'She's Gotta Have It" and left campus after my last class and dragged my college sweetheart to D.C. to see the film. That made it official for me that as a little black girl not even knowing all my film history about Oscar Micheaux and earlier African-American filmmakers I knew I could become a filmmaker too. My favorite directors are Spike Lee, Quentin Taratino, Gina Prince-Blythewood, Kassie Lemons, Martin Scoreses, Francis Ford Coppoloa, Tony Scott, Ridley Scott, John Singelton and Woody Allen. My favorite actors are Denzel Washington, Tariji P. Henson, Alfre Woodard, Forest Whitaker, Kate Winslet, Brad Pitt, Al Pacino, Robert Deniro just to name a few."

OneWayTV: Tell us about the story of Shining Star and where are you in the process?

Cassandra: "Shining Star is about a young man in his mid-twenties who is chosen to play basketball overseas. He and his best friend meet two female best friends and they form a bond of friendship that is ultimately tested when secrets are exposed. I don't want to give too much away about the story but it does entail relationship issues, HIV and other social issues of the day. We are two weeks away from wrapping but according to Murphy's Law we are tackling several issues to complete the film. I want to give a shout out to the cast and crew who have dedicated their time and energy and even a few dollars towards this low budget film to help see my vision come to fruition. In the process they have formed bonds of friendship and professional relationships. I also want to point out that this is their first film and most have never been on a set before. The producers Nia Barge and A'leighsha Butler both have just graduated from Howard University and Maryland University respectively."

OneWayTV: Is it true this is your second time filming it? What lessons were learned during this process?

Cassandra: "It is true this is the second time filming this movie. The first masters were stolen. I don't want to relive that moment but it hurt deeply because I trusted this individual and I paid $5,000 out-of-pocket to make certain that I could feed my cast and crew and take care of the other necessary things to make the film happen. I definitely wanted to give my voice to a social issue such as HIV/AIDS that has been affecting 1 out 3 Washingtonians. As such, it is a movie that is close to my heart. However, I have learned that I cannot wear more than one hat and at this stage in my life, the starving artist title is dead. I truly have paid my dues and I just want to breathe to create art and make a living. I don't think it hurts me artistically but it suffers nonetheless to do the best damn job I can do. So this will be my last no budget project. I definitely as a Director have an affinity to teach young people what I have been exposed to and experience but I would like to have a budget where I can be more of an effective leader on set and take care of my people without any concerns for money or my actors without money and giving them my full attention. I feel though that these young people grabbed the ball and said 'Yo Kobe (Cass) pass me the ball I got you (Lamar, Arizza, Gasol) you lead us to the chip.' So, with that said I think we will give our audience a good project.

As an independent filmmaker/entrepreneur money is not plentiful as you try to grow your business and perfect your craft. My advice is take it back to the old school and make the sacrifices necessary if it is important to you, and if you're young go for your dreams. Save, fundraise, borrow, whatever to at least raise enough money to pay for craft service, lunch, stock, and the necesssary skilled crew to do the best job possible on set. This is the age of technology so things are a bit different but the game is still the same. FILMMAKING is a collaborative effort. First and foremost, get your paperwork in order. Registered/copyright your script, do pre-production work, get your crew in order, get release forms and deal memos straight, incorporate your company, set up the movie and work on your script until its tight and get ready to shoot with a dedicated cast and crew. DO NOT LET YOUR MASTERS OUT OF YOUR SIGHT. Work with a editor you can trust. Read everything you can get your hands on about the business, watch every movie you like and don't like. Study the masters of the game. Learn about distribution, marketing and promotions. Maybe you can find a college graduate who has some experience in publicity and wants to be in the business if you can't afford a more experienced publicist. Do your research on how to build your audience and sell your movie. Work the festival market, screen your film and study the DIY (Do-It-Yourself) market, for me its on to bigger and better things after this year. PUT TOGETHER A DYNAMIC TEAM THAT WILL BE LOYAL AND CONSISTENT and want the same things as you do and will work hard to make their dream materailize. I eat, sleep and pray that one day working full-time in this industry creating great movies and telling my stories to the world will be a reality."

OneWayTV: When can we expect to see the film and what else can we look forward to from you as a director and producer?

Cassandra: "A trailer will be cut in the next week or two. We are going to screen for friends and family in the D.C. area and NY by end of summer and/or after Labor Day. The movie should go into post production by end of August to get prepared for the fall 09 and 10 festival runs as well as tour with the film. After Shining Star goes into orbit, I will be preparing for other projects from the One Way or Another Production machine to kick off and I am producing the majority of those. I do have a couple of scripts I am touching up and working on a project with an old childhood friend that is controversial and very necessary for this subculture to be seen. As far as directing, I don't know if I will direct another project for the next two years. I do have some academic aspirations to fulfill and I also need to rest and get my life back in order. One love to the One Way family for all their help and support - whether you were phsyically with me or not I felt the love. To Ashlei Dabney, Marty Martin and Micah Thomas for encouraging me to shoot the film again and giving their time and energy a second time as the main and supporting cast. To Travis Riddick, Khafre Powell, Chavee Crafton, Yvonee Orgi, Tyrell aka Ransom Rellic, Wade, Obama, Alex, Khofi, Sierra Edwards, DeShaude Barner, Jarell and Malik (my nephews), the neighborhood kids and other background actors for all your dedication and hardwork on the film. To the crew: Nia Barge, A'leighsha Butler, Charisse, Travis, Da Ibanez, Bianca, Sierra, Wanakhavi, (my favorite DP), Nia's little sister, and all those that helped to keep the project moving. Peace and God Bless!"

Look out for more on Shining Star here, and by following the film's Blog.

You can find more on Cassandra's upcoming projects at her production company's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment