Friday, May 6, 2011

Tom Reviews "The Green Hornet" DVD

Tom's Corner:



DVD Review

The Green Hornet
(2010, Michel Gondry, dir)



I want to start this one with a confession. I have never read a Green Hornet comic. I've never heard the radio show either. The 40's serials? I didn't even know they existed until Wikipedia showed me. I have seen some episodes of the TV show with the immortal Bruce Lee, and enjoyed it. This movie is a different take on the Green Hornet, and actually damned good.

The stars really sell you on the movie. We have Seth Rogen playing Britt Reid/The Green Hornet, who takes a lot of flak around the net and TV, but whose work I've enjoyed since he played a cynical young college student in the critically underrated and far too early canceled Fox television show Undeclared. He plays a spoiled rich kid who is wasting away his life perfectly (no disrespect Seth). The coffee scene was played perfectly. I had a lot of misgivings about this usually comedic actor portraying a two-fisted crimebuster, but he pulled it off. A rich, bored kid turning to crimefighting actually becomes believable. Next we have newcomer to Hollywood Jay Chou, who is just amazing as Kato. While no one, and I mean NO ONE, could be a worthy successor to Bruce Lee, Mr. Chou does an amazing job and takes Kato off in his own direction: Weapons designer, martial arts expert and coolest cat in the room all rolled up into one. Cameron Diaz plays Lenore Case, Britt Reid's secretary and confidant. While not in too many scenes, Ms. Diaz nailed the essence of the character. Rounding out our main cast we have Edward James Olmos as Mike Axford, a longtime reporter for Reid's paper, the Daily Sentinel. Our villain, Chudnofsky, is brought to life by Christoph Waltz, who can really play anything and own the set.

The plot is a brilliant mix of comedy and action, making you laugh one moment, and shout “Holy Shit that's cool!” the next. I've always enjoyed the idea of a hero masquerading as a villain in order to get inside information and take down the villains. Kato's awesome martial arts displays will keep you amazed, especially compared with the Hornet's lackluster (yet hilarious) skills.

There is one point that kind of bothered me. Reid, who was brought up rich and likely away from the darker elements of life, has no problem killing people. He doesn't even pause after the first time Kato shoots someone. That's the one element I had a problem with.

I've gotta say, I never went into a movie thinking I would dislike it so much, only to really enjoy it. Go into this one with an open mind and you will be rewarded.

- Tom

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES:

Filmmaker's Commentary
Gag Reel
The Black Beauty: Rebirth of Cool featurette
Writing the Green Hornet featurette

No comments:

Post a Comment