Monday, May 16, 2011

Tom Reviews "I Love You Phillip Morris" DVD


Tom's Corner:

I Love You Philip Morris
(2010, Glenn Ficarra & John Requa, directors)

Sometimes you see a film and it's more enjoyable than you expected. I Love You Philip Morris is just such a film. I did not know going in that this movie was based around true events. I also didn't know I would like the movie so much.

The film is the true story of Steven Jay Russell, a con man from Texas. Jim Carrey plays the part to perfection. I have not seen one of Carrey's movies in quite a long time (voluntarily), and was not sure how much I'd enjoy this one. I have to say he did a great job playing a con man, which should be expected, as changing his voice and mannerisms is something that plays to Carrey's strengths. We also get a bit of the old physical Jim Carrey, who is welcome here. The other main character is the titular Philip Morris, played by Ewan McGregor. I've always enjoyed McGregor's work, so I knew I'd enjoy this.

This is a movie that begs to be watched. It is infectious, and blends drama and comedy perfectly. I don't want to give anything away, but if you like love stories with comedy and some truly amazing acing and dramatic moments tossed in, see it.

- Tom

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES

Filmmaker Commentary
The Making of I Love You Philip Morris
Deleted Scenes
Three Theatrical Trailers

No comments:

Post a Comment