Monday, January 26, 2009

How to Act for Woody



Stumbled across this cool short piece in Newsweek while at a doctor's office for a routine checkup. Thought I'd find it and post it here.

Patricia Clarkson just finished shooting two Woody Allen movies— the first is "Vicky Cristina Barcelona," which open Aug. 15, 2008. She spoke to Ramin Setoodeh.

Does he give a lot of direction?
He's completely hands off, and that's the beauty of Woody Allen. I think he's the least precious director I've ever worked with.

Can you improvise?
Yes, but it can be a little nerve-racking because he doesn't like to stop in the middle of takes. He's very, "Woo-hoo. Let's shoot! Say something, even if it's wrong."

Does he do a lot of takes?
When it's right, it's right, and he knows it. If you get it on the first take, you go home. You're, like, "Was the camera rolling? Did I have my clothes on?"

What if you want to do it again?
He'll say, "Are you happy? I've got it. But if you're not going to be able to sleep, we can go again."

What advice do you have for someone about to star in a Woody Allen film?
I don't know. Find religion.

That's a very Woody Allen thing to say.
Maybe some of it rubbed off.



© 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment