Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Getting Your "Acting Team" to Work Together

Here is a great article from SWNewsHerald for actors. See below:

Getting An Actor, Manager and Agent To All Work Together

By BRENT MATHER SWAN

"First let me preface my remarks: I am not a lawyer and all my comments are from my experience as a SAG Talent Agent, from what I know of entertainment law and practices. Some of the information is fact and some is informed opinion.

To answer this question let me first define each role. I’ll skip to the agent first:

A Theatrical Talent Agent (booking agent) takes bookings for entertainment industry jobs; primarily union affiliated productions. Their primary job is to receive casting calls for the actor and to make sure the actor gets the information they need to arrive at their auditions. Additionally, it is the agent’s privilege to facilitate the signing of union contracts between the production company and actor or independent lawyer or on the actor’s behalf. By law talent agents are bound to a 10% commission on a union job. Strictly speaking, it is not their job to solicit work for, or to educate their clients or to develop an actor’s career. Agent's cannot produce productions and are not supposed to manage their clients. Agents will bend those rules if their client is making a significant amount of money for them. "

See full article HERE:

http://www.swnewsherald.com/online_contentcrf/2006/06/062606crf_aae_movies_actmgragent.php

No comments:

Post a Comment