Saturday, February 21, 2009

Separate but equal.

Here's the trailer for Kris Swanberg's film "It was great, but I was ready to come home".


Trailer - It was great, but I was ready to come home. from David Lowery on Vimeo.

First, I want to say, I think the title lends itself to the quips, jibs, jabs, and even cleverly titled compliments that the blogger community will certainly exploit while talking about the film. I think that's both brilliant and brave on Kris's part, while at the same time, not surprising because of how the indie film blog community and indie film community are so connected. Our ideas are beginning to blend.

I know there is a lot of blog-rama (blog drama?) about the legitimacy of Kris's film being in competition at this years SXSW festival. A lot bloggers are crying out Incest, but I think it's important (although difficult) to separate Kris from her last name, and try to examine her as a new filmmaker. And frankly, I think a film festival should remain loyal to its community and the same for its filmmakers. I also think that bloggers should start focusing on the films, not the high school mama drama. Lets not be caddy, lets be supportive!
We had a lengthy debate about this topic, the other night. Some people believe that Kris should not premiere at SXSW, so that her work can be examined as something separate from the accused clique, but at the same time, she may have a responsibility or at least sense of loyalty to a festival that has been so supportive of her husband and community of filmmakers. I think this is an important debate because we aren't debating about the legitimacy of a filmmaker or fest, but whats best for their work and future projects. We all believe she deserves a fair chance to make good work, and why shouldn't we?
I've heard the film was really good, and I think the trailer looks really beautiful. I'm very interested in seeing it, and dissecting her style (form and performance) and drawing conclusions based on comparisons to the filmmaker community that her work was born from. I can assume she drew inspiration from her community but I think that she has stepped out of the mold a bit, by taking a film out of a hip apartment and into South America. Ultimately, we won't be able to completely separate her film from the name attached to it, but I look forward to it being a part of a group of films that I have followed, love and respect. I think it's safe to say, im likely going to be a big fan of IT WAS GREAT, BUT I WAS READY TO COME HOME, because of the community that it comes from, and I look forward to being challenged by the film and ultimately becoming a fan of the film, because its a great work by a new filmmaker. I think she deserves that.

-RYAN BALAS

No comments:

Post a Comment