Thursday, March 10, 2011

Backstage Advice From an "Elder"

Backstage's Shawn Dempewolff gives advice from an "elder."

"I just turned thirty this past week. THIRTY. That's the time when you're supposed to be paying off a mortgage, or deciding what to name your second child, or starting your own private practice. I am currently doing none of those things. Instead I'm feverishly re-writing the script for my UCB show that goes up next week - WASPS: A celebration of a culture in decline - and trying to find a bartending job to supplement my other part time job. What? Really? Did I ever expect to find myself here right now? No. Do I like what I found? I think so. More importantly, I've reached the age where I can now give advice to the youngins. Because I'm not one anymore. I'm an oldin.

Patience. It only takes one project. I was chatting with my writer/director friend today. She's been working at a kinda-development exec, and just got offered a very, very lucrative deal to stay on in the wake of a merger. We debated on whether or not she should take it. One the one hand, it was a lot of money. A lot. She'd be set for at least ten years - and could afford to produce a feature of her own creation easily. On the other hand, she's getting older, older than me but still early thirities - and she felt her window of opportunity to be a writer/director was closing. But it was a lot of money."

Find out what advice Shawn gave his friend HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment