Sunday, December 6, 2009

Journey of an Actress - Part 3


Here is part 3 of Rogue Cinema's feature on the writing of our good friend Naama Kates (Cookies & Cream). They have named the 3 piece series, "Journey of an Actress." Here is some of it below, after the jump:



"Happy Thanksgiving!! I know this will run in December, but, I write this on Tuesday, November 24th, 2009, and Thanksgiving is still to come... At the end of this column I will wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and muse on how funny and alien it will seem, the date around the corner, January 1st, 2010, that impossible, science-fiction year, when it appears on the headlines of newspapers, on flyers for concerts, on invitations to weddings, on checks we will write.

But now it is Thanksgiving. And I want to give thanks. Thanks for everything I have, everyone I've loved, everything I've lost. Thanks to the angels in my life, who have been so kind to me, so encouraging and generous and warm. Thanks to the people who've offered endless patience and unflinching honesty, and the people who've grab me by the shoulders these recent months, shaken me and told me to snap out of it, the self-indulgent sadness, the self-destructive self-doubt, snap out of it, get over it, get over yourself. Thank you.

Thanks to the universe, thanks to life, how beautifully symphonic it is, and how it can always be funny, how filled with humor, irony, cosmic jokes. They are sometimes, often, painful, these jokes, and there is pain and fear and dread and confusion because we are on a journey, but we are blessed. I am blessed; I am young and free. I am not starving, or ill, or living in hiding or in constant fear of a government that will jail me if I say the wrong thing; I am not paralyzed or imprisoned."

Read the full piece HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment