Sunday, February 7, 2010

Exclusive Interview with Jace Nicole

We caught up with our good friend, actress Jace Nicole for an exclusive conversation about what she's been up to, and how she got there. Several times, we have affectionately referred to our company as "the house that Jace built," following her critically acclaimed performance as Carmen in our first feature Cookies & Cream. We asked her several questions and tried to find her secret to getting so much work, and advancing her career. Here it is, after the jump:



OneWayTV: What have you been working lately?

Jace: "Well, I was working on finishing a film called 'Sleeping with Fate,' but unfortunately it still is being held up for reasons I’m not sure of. So I am shooting 'The Charl(y)ie Factor' with Richard Johnson. He did some major alterations, so now it’s just a center piece on 2 people, which are myself and Michael Alban ('Sleeping with fate,' 'Razorblade City'). So instead of me getting the chance to play an assassin, I am playing a girlfriend whom feels betrayed. And I got the awesome news that I will soon be acting alongside Michael Beach ('Waiting to Exhale,' 'Crazy as Hell,' 'Lean on Me'..etc,) very soon in a project called 'The Registry,' which is a story about a father whose two children were killed by a sexual predator. We shoot that in May. I'm very excited about that! Richard Johnson is directing that project."

OneWayTV: People seemed amazed at how often you work. How are you able to work so much?

Jace: "Well, I have been blessed you could say to have made a lot of great choices in my career so far. I have linked up with some of the greatest directors ever in my opinion, directors like Richard Johnson, Princeton Holt, Chris Clanton, Kent Sutton - to name a few - who just happen to be very 'film family' oriented. Also I try to bring a positive attitude with me to the set, and I guess I end up bonding with people and get to work with them repeatedly. I also remember that before I got started with my films, I would do a lot of research on my favorite actors, whom I look up to. I would take note of how they handled their careers, and career choices. I also watch other known actors and watch what they do, and where they screw up at so that I know not to do it (laughs). I learn a lot from watching others and how they handle things. You’d be surprised at what you can learn by doing that. Also I peruse Craigslist, Mandy.com, and different search engines to find auditions. But recently, thank God, I haven’t had to go look anywhere for projects. Now I just get personal calls to do projects. That’s where having a wonderful rapport with great directors and fellow actors comes in handy."

OneWayTV: And we understand you have interest from agent/manager types as well?

Jace: "As far as representation goes, I have a couple people I have worked with who just recommend me to their people. Doesn't always work out right away, but I have a great person in mind whom I met through my friend Danny Doherty from 'Cookies & Cream,' who has reached out. All in all, I’m positive I will find the perfect representation. That I’m not worried about."

OneWayTV: Here's a favorite topic on this blog: SAG vs Non Union. Based on your personal opinion and personal experience:

Jace: "Wow, the golden question. YES (laughs)! In my opinion and personal experience, stay-non-union-as-long-as-you-can! I say that because I got the chance to do so many projects and build up my filmography through indies. I love the freedom of non-union. You aren’t limited to just SAG projects, which from what I have seen from actors around me that are SAG, are few and far between. If I want to do a project that sparks my interest, hey guess what? I can just up and do it without worries of being fined or someone finding out and me getting in trouble because big brother SAG is watching. Non union – freedom, vs SAG – restraint. Hmm...give me non-union (laugh)! And contrary to popular belief, yes I do get paid. Of course its not a hundred percent of the time, but more times than not, I get paid. I mean, I will become SAG one day soon when the time is right and I am ready for it, but I am definitely not in any rush whatsoever. I'm too much of a free film spirit for that. So SAG is definitely in the future for as long as I can help it."

OneWayTV: You are definitely a maverick (not just in that rhetorical, Sarah Palin sort of way), and a free spirit - thats one of the reasons we love you as an artist. But I remember you saying that wasn't the only reason you work alot. What we found interesting is that there is also a unique state of mind you have. Please explain that:

Jace: "Well, thank you (smiling)! My state of mind is one that is full of big pictures. I have a very vivid imagination, and I am constantly thinking of positive things. Not to be cliche', but I try to stay positive as much as possible. It seems that whenever I concentrate on a specific thing, and I speak of it as if it is happening right now (although it may not be), it will happen shortly thereafter. I don’t let anyone or anything deter me from getting anything done. If I want a project, I dwell on it, I speak and think of it constantly. I always go back and read my acting books as if I am preparing to go on a set the next day, even though I may not have a project lined up until the following 2 months, etc, things like that. And you cannot let 'stigmas' rule you. You have to be a 'norm' breaker. Break the norm and let the world and people know 'I am the exception to every rule.' I remember when I was pregnant, I said to myself, 'Well, I still want to work. I still want to do projects. And if not possible, I will resume my films and projects afterward, but-I-will-work,' and Viola! I worked on a few projects while I was pregnant. And another thing, I know that a lot of women freak when they become pregnant because they feel that their careers are done. Uhhh, no, your career isn’t. Only you can rule and decide if and when your career is over! 'Matter of fact, and this is where having a great 'film family' comes in handy, one of the directors I work closely with said to me 'Jace, I don’t care if you were 20 months pregnant, I will always have something for you to do. You’re an awesome actress, and I want you in my projects, regardless of your condition. So you will always work and have a role of some sort as long as I can help it.' I thought that was great, and it made me feel awesome, and it was just a reassurance that having and keeping a certain mindset about your career can take you anywhere, whether you are pregnant, not pregnant, sick, etc, etc. You have to stay focused, positive and 'stigma' free. And it will come. Sooner or later. But it will come (smiling)."

OneWayTV: For fellow actors, what are some of the best kinds of projects or people to work with?

Jace: "To me, the best projects to work on are 'family' oriented projects. Projects that don’t just concentrate on certain people, but everyone in a project. The best people to work with are people who communicate with you. Talk openly with you, even though it may not always be things you want to hear. As a director, you should be able to come to me and say 'Jace, you know what, this is not really working for me. Let’s try it this way.' Or, 'Jace, the character is not being portrayed the way I need it to be, lets try it that way now.' I Love directors who do that. It shows me that they know what they are doing, and are into making a wonderful piece of art."

OneWayTV: What are the kinds of projects they should stay away from?

Jace: "The projects people should stay away from are the ones that will portray you in a negative light, and quite possibly fuck up your career. I remember getting a call for a project where the guy who wrote it wanted me to be a stripper who got knocked around. And that was all I would have been seen as (laughing)! I was like ‘Uhh, No thank you! I need a little bit more meat in my roles' (laughing). The people to stay away from are non-communicators. And 'Yes Men.' I despise Yes men. I want whatever project Im working on to come out as good as it possibly can, and if you don’t talk to me and tell me whats really going on in your head, then there is nothing I can do. But I will concentrate more on the positives, on what I'm looking for, instead of what I don't like. My favorite people to keep working with are those who are collaborative from beginning to end, right up until the festival premiere. It's not a hundred percent necessary, but it sure is fun. And you naturally are inclined to do more for them, and recommend the work at that point. At the end of the day, the indie film world is a crazy one, ya know? You just have to watch your own back."

OneWayTV: What do you have coming up or being released we should look out for?

Jace: "Definitely, keep an eye out for 'Razorblade City,' which should be released on DVD soon, 'The Registry' and 'The Charl(y)ie Factor.' And I’m still waiting to hear from OneWay - hey thats you guys (laughing)! - about some cool 'Cookies & Cream' DVD news and more upcoming work."

OneWayTV: Where can we follow you, your progress, and your future projects?

Jace: "You can follow me on Twitter, Myspace, Facebook, and my official website www.jacenicole.com !"

No comments:

Post a Comment