Friday, August 7, 2009

R.I.P. John Hughes

I think my first exposure to John Hughes' work was "National Lampoon's Vacation". My parents actually saw this one in the theater when my sister and I were little. They told us that the entire theater reacted to it, especially when the car is driving itself down the road. We got to see the TV version when I was about 6 or 7 & it became one of those films we could all watch and get a laugh from.

Over the years, I saw his teen comedies, "Home Alone", Christmas Vacation, "Uncle Buck" and even some of the ho-hum films like "Baby's Day Out".

The most recent film I saw, though underrated, was "Career Opportunities". My husband told me about it for ages & insisted I see it; I finally did and it was hilarious. For those who've not seen it, I highly recommend it. It's a little dated but like his other films, you can relate to it. My husband also got me to see another underrated but good film of his, "Dutch".

Some people were waiting for John Hughes to make a comeback. I have to wonder how he'd write about the teen experience in the age of cyberbullying and "sexting". If the teens my husband serves and supervises at work are any indication, there's no question about the relevance of "Sixteen Candles", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" or any of the other teen comedies to this generation; they love these films & find them just as funny as those who were teens when they came out.

John Hughes' death marks the end of an era & the loss of an icon among 80s children like myself. I hope we'll see someone with even a modicum of his talent get mainstream success.

- Monica

For more information:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i99e7b38cf6795ab06001811fba7bb00a

No comments:

Post a Comment