Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chris Riquinha Interviewed by TcwReviews

TCW Reviews conducted an interview with our good friend Chris Riquinha (Uptown). It's a very revealing, honest and informative discussion. There where even things about the actors' process in the making Uptown that were revealing to us and we produced it!!!

You can learn more about Chris Riquinha or contact him for casting HERE. Here is some of it after the jump:



Clifford: I had the pleasure of reviewing “Uptown” a film you starred in last summer. What was it like working on that project?

Chris: Well first of all, thank you for reviewing the film and for your kind words regarding it, I'm really glad you liked the work we all put into it. I'll tell ya man, working on Uptown was the greatest overall acting experience I've ever had...honestly. We filmed principle Monday through Friday in one week straight...so I guess the fact that for those five days, all I concerned myself with was making this movie...it was freaking awesome. That's not to say things went perfectly, [Laughs], not even close. We definitely had our share problems, but in hind sight, all of that just added to the experience. I have some really great memories from that week.

Clifford: What was it like working with the cast and crew?

Chris: They all sucked...…[Laughs], I'm only kidding (I'm a bit sarcastic)! Everyone was really great. Meissa and I got along stellar (that's her word...I'm stealing it) both on and off camera. Brian, Princeton, and Ryan all seemed to share this crazy, awesome, visionary brain which made the work really fun. Deirdre and Derek were a blast to work with. We all grew very close during the week. I know people say this all the time, and I know it's kinda cheesy, but it truly was just this great collaborative work environment that made going to work everyday an absolute pleasure. At least that's the way it was for me anyway.

Clifford: So you guys all hit it off from the get-go I take it, do you guys all still keep in touch regularly?

Chris: Without a doubt! Princeton and I have become very good friends and we're collaborating on a film we're going to make together soon, and Brian, Meissa, and myself regularly check in with each other to see how things are going both professionally and personally, to share a memory, or just for the hell of it. In fact, the three of us are going to see Meissa in a show she's performing in later this week...should be a great night!

Clifford: While watching the film I notice there was what appeared to be a lot of improvisational acting going on, I mean there were scenes where you and the cast were following a script and than there where scenes where you and the cast where improvising on the spot but still sticking to an overall concept.

Chris: Yeah there is a lot of improv in the film, in fact there wasn't even a fleshed out script. Basically what would happen is Brian would tell us what he wanted in the scene, sometimes he would give us points to cover, sometimes there were a few lines that we needed to work around, but generally speaking, he really wanted us to play with it. We would usually do a brief rehearsal, so he could see where we would go with it, and he would give us notes...or not...and then we would shoot it. It really worked for me because even though he knew what he wanted, he let us figure out how to get there. All that being said, there were definitely a few scenes that were fully scripted, so for those we just followed his writing.

Clifford: So unlike some tough as nails Directors out there who‘ll demand precisely what they want out of their actors, Brian Ackley is pretty laid back when it come to the creativity with the cast?

Chris: That's the interesting thing, Brian did know exactly what he wanted, at least as far as character, and he communicated that very well to us. I remember one scene we had to shoot a number of times because it was missing something very specific from me...and of course it was an extremely emotional scene for Meissa, so I felt so terrible, but he got what he wanted in the end. He had this thing...everyday we would show up on set and he would have a few note cards for us with some notes regarding the days scenes...it was an incredibly effective technique. So once he had us locked in and comfortable with our characters and where we were going with them, he let us play.

Read the full interview HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment