Sunday, May 24, 2009

Bear Facts and The Lionshare

I recently got to watch a screener copy of Josh Bernhard's film "The Lionshare".
The Lionshare is the debut feature from writer/director Josh Bernhard. Shot with consumer equipment and a “do-it-yourself” ethic, the movie is being shared with its audience in the same spirit.

-I enjoyed the film, and thought it was beautifully shot. I was surprised to find out that it was scripted, because the dialogue was so casual and the performances were so natural.
The film's sub plot was most interesting to me, regarding the lead's roommate and his relationship with his father. I think the idea of a sub plot being more interesting in the case of these twenty-something relationship (with people and technology) films is noteworthy, because it really highlights the directors effort to actually say something. It gave the film a sense of weight and layers. I could relate to the film, as a male viewer. I think the dude style friendships were spot on. I would have liked to see more of our female lead love interest. I think it would be an interesting companion film (and im not suggesting actually making it) to see what she does during her days, with her friends. This is a moment to moment, real life kind of film, and it's comforting to know that other people are doing the same things as we are---making music for girls, online dating, chillin, drinking beer and trying to figure out what the hell to do with your time after college.
If you are interesting in d.i.y relationship films, from the male perspective, then I recommend trying to catch a screening of The Lionshare. It was a fun film!

-Ryan
ryan@ryanbalas.com
For more information about the film, check out the website HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment