Saturday, October 3, 2009

An Exclusive Interview with Graphic Artist J. Lynn Menzel


We conducted an exclusive interview with J. Lynn Menzel - Graphics Art Director of her company One Way or Another Productions. J. Lynn is also CEO of her own graphic design company ArtThentic LLC. The company was incorporated by J. Lynn as a means to conduct business as a freelance artist. ArtThentic's concept is to provide all clients with authentic artwork that has never been developed from a predesigned template or duplicated for anyone else.

J. Lynn continues to receive high acclaim for her many designs, including accolades for poster designs on feature films, and also the winner of top votes for her specially made flyer designs. We go inside J. Lynn's process as well as information on how independent filmmakers and musicians can get their artwork specially made for their individual, as well as company's needs. Enjoy!

OneWayTV: How did you get started in graphic design, and what are some of your works?

"I started with graphics while I was living in San Diego. I thought to myself, "I can draw, but I wanna draw on the computer." So I found Platt College and enrolled. My first published piece came when Siccness.net's Nemo hired me for the cover of Messy Slick, a colab album with underground west coast rappers Messy Marv and Mitchy Slick. I also worked on Cricet's "No Mercy Vol. 2" and currently I work on a few different projects with One Way, mostly including movie posters and promotional graphics. I love music and i love film, I feel blessed to be doing graphics in these industries."



OneWayTV: How do the ideas for the posters come about? Do they ask for specific things or do you have complete and total freedom?



"It completely depends on who is asking for a poster! (laugh) When asked for specific things I like to make sure they get what they want by asking as many specific questions as possible. If offered freedom to choose....it helps to know the content, whether its film, music or other, and from that...I focus on thinking up something that will grab the attention of the audience, something that 'sums it all up,' without spilling the beans."



OneWayTV: As an artist, what are your greatest influences? Are there any posters you see that you wished you had designed?

"Life and emotions inspire me. When executing a project, I do get a lot of inspiration from other artists as well. LORD OF WAR. That movie poster blew my mind. I want to know how long it took to get all the bullets to make up Nicholas Cage! Great movie, great poster among many I would love to learn how to produce."

OneWayTV: Out of all the ones you did, which poster was the most fun to make?

"Actually...it was Cookies & Cream. I had the most freedom, I created the image myself, it's 'me' from start to finish, it all just fell nicely into place. I am definitely the most proud of Cookies..."

OneWayTV: What are your personal career goals for your work?

"I want to learn, learn, learn... I am a nerd (laugh). I specifically want to learn more Illustrator, more Photoshop, and I want to eventually combine my traditional art with digital to create my very own collection that i can eventually put in my own gallery. I'd love to create avenues for young artists...exactly how is yet to be determined but opportunities are abundant. One day I'd also like to teach children in the field. Until then, I will get my hands on any projects that come my way and leave my fingerprints on them"

OneWayTV: What does an independent filmmaker or musician have to do to get you to design their artwork?

"They can contact me with questions at jlynn@1wayoranother.net . I give free personalized quotes after I hear a description of what is needed. I never go above my original quote, each project is personalized and different. I am focused on progression, so while its fun to get paid for my work, my intent is to really do the absolute best and challenge myself on every design...at a reasonable cost."

See more of J. Lynn's work at Artthentic's Official Site HERE
Or see More of her updated works at her Facebook Fan Page HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment